Colleen Riebel is pleased with the larger than usual crowd at this summer’s lunch program.
“Chicken and noodles are on the menu for June 29 and are always a crowd favorite,” said Riebel, USD 257 food service director.
The summer breakfast and lunch program at the high school cafeteria began June 6 and continues each weekday, except for July 4 until July 29.
Breakfast and lunch, free to anyone 18 or younger, is federally subsidized and has been a fixture in the local school district for several years. Adults also may eat — some come without children — and are charged $2.50 for breakfast and $3.50 for lunch.
All lunches are served in the cafeteria, directly east of the high school, from 11:30 to 1 o’clock. Breakfast is served in the cafeteria from 8:30 to 9:30 and from 8 to 9 a.m. at Lincoln Elementary School until June 30 during SAFE BASE activities. Breakfast will be served at Jefferson Elementary School from 9:30 to 10 a.m. July 13 to 29 during the three-week summer school session.
“Our attendance numbers have been up with SAFE BASE children and high school summer school students attending breakfast and lunch,” Riebel said.
Last week 1,500 lunches were served and 1,000 breakfasts. This is an increase of 500 lunches and 400 breakfasts served during the same period last year.
“We’ve even had some children walking across town in this heat to eat lunch,” Riebel said.
All main courses are made by cooks at the cafeteria including fresh baked bread and rolls.
In addition to Riebel five full-time and two part-time cooks are employed during the program’s two-month run.